Visit the Shop at LiturgicalTime.net:

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Veil Colors: Do They Vary According to Age and Marital State?

A lovely lady visited the Veil Shop this morning, and asked whether there are any hard and fast rules about the color of veils that one might wear, whether one is married or single, younger or older?  Or whether, presently, it's more a matter of personal taste?

Of course, traditionally, married women wore black, or darker colors, and single women and girls wore white, or lighter colors.  Now, though, it seems to me that those practices have relaxed a bit.  I would say that, as women are re-embracing the practice of veiling, we are, to some extent, making it our own.

However, I am sure that local parishes may have different norms and practices.  If you veil in church, are there any "color rules" or practices in your local congregation?  I would love to here your input on this question.

Have a wonderful weekend!
~Michelle


6 comments:

  1. Speaking for the Eastern Orthodox church, I would say no. I've seen elderly women wear pink, red, and everything in between. In my experience it seems that covering is more important than the color or type. Some are comfortable with simple bandanas and short veils. Others like me, prefer tichels, hijabs, or other fuller coverage scarves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreeing with LHOTM. Perhaps in other countries it is different, but from looking at photos, I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a number of women in our church that veil. The predominant colors are black, white and cream. I have seen one silver and one bronze. The one thing I do notice is that the veil usually matches the dress, sweater or jacket they are wearing. It looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta say, I have no real experience in this area, as veiling is very new to me. NO congregations in my area practice it. Your blog was actually the beginning of my own study and journey. I have to say, I believe the covering is commanded in scripture--but no specific style or color rules are laid down. If these rules/traditions exist, I would argue that they are man-made. The covering, and--my personal struggle--a heart worthy of it, would be the important things in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen any veils around here ~ I would like to, but have used headbands and hats (winter) instead, so I won't stand out. But oh, I so want to! Those lovely laces! Hmmm, maybe for Easter Vigil.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wear white (not married) all the time (that is what I own) but to funerals & during Holy week I wear black. Other times I wear a scarf on days that I want color and/or to be warm. However I really like colored veils and hope to have one (actually some) in the future.

    I am not sure about sparkly ones though... I think that they are so pretty(!!!) but are they too much of a distraction? What do other women think? Men what are your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! We love to hear from you. You are embraced here in Christian charity.Your comment will not show up immediately. Rest assured that is has been received and will be published soon.

Pax Christi!
~Michelle