Visit the Shop at LiturgicalTime.net:

Monday, December 26, 2011

Why Do Some Christian Women Wear Headcoverings?

I have been asked about veiling/headcovering in worship.  To be honest, I have avoided this topic, because it is extremely important to me that this blog not become a forum for debate.  However, I do want to answer honest questions.

I will prepare my own testimony/explanation of veiling in church, but for now, I have selected some links of other women's testimonies of headcovering.  I have purposely selected links that detail personal experiences, written by the woman herself, and give her own reasons, rather than arguments regarding what others should do.

Roman Catholic: Why Do Catholic Women Wear the Mantilla?
Protestant: Why I Wear A Headcovering: A Christian Woman's Perspective
Orthodox Christian:  On Account of the Angels: Why I Cover My Head

I am interested in knowing if readers would like to hear more on this topic. I am not at all interested in Christian women (especially silly old me), telling other Christian women what they (in the speakers opinion) ought to be doing.  I do, however, believe that veiling is a beautiful tradition that is a blessing to many Christian women.  Comments below regarding reader interest (or lack of interest) in posts regarding headcovering, would be greatly appreciated, and would be useful to me, in deciding whether to take it up as a topic on this blog.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!
Pax Christi,
~Michelle

4 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Michelle! I've read some blog posts too in the past why a specific woman wanted to wear a head veil. I think it's a beautiful tradition and I leave it up to the person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't blame you for being cautious about this topic - it seems many people (and it's mostly women because the topic affects them) have very strong opinions and become angry and/or offended when others express differing opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your approach to writing about the beauty of it, rather than a "thou shalt," is exactly what is needed.
    I hope you decide to make it a regular topic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stumbled across your blog through reading about Christian modesty and wanted to say thank you. This is not really something that was on my radar but I've found your posts and especially your links in this article so informative and thought-provoking. I'm still trying to absorb the heart issues behind dressing in all skirts/dresses rather than pants--but I think that it's closely linked to the voluntary obedience discussed in these posts about head-covering.

    Isn't it amazing how it's not PC to "judge" people for being immodest, but we feel free to judge each other for being too modest? Let each of us worship as we are lead by Scripture!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! We love to hear from you. You are embraced here in Christian charity.Your comment will not show up immediately. Rest assured that is has been received and will be published soon.

Pax Christi!
~Michelle