Visit the Shop at LiturgicalTime.net:

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Headcovering eBook in the Works

 Luc Viatour, Creative Commons
Share Alike 3.0
It has been said that the best three things about being a teacher are June, July, and August.

Being a speech pathologist, rather than a teacher, means that I only get June off...but I'm not complaining.  I'm rather fond of June.

This annual break allows me time to do things I've been wanting to do all school year, like create new veils, sleep in, and give the oven a good, thorough cleaning.  (Okay...I don't really want to do the oven.)  Anyway, one of the things that I have been wanting to do is to write a eBook on the basics of Christian headcovering.  My intent is to produce a book about the "how-to", not the "why" or "whether to" of Christian headcovering.

After all, it is not as if headcovering is common these days, at least not in Western society.  Those of us who have decided to embrace it, whether during church, at prayer, or on a daily basis, may not quite know how to begin.  Personally, I remember receiving my first mantilla in the mail, and, while I was excited, I was also a little confused.  Which side is up?  Maybe I'm the only one who had that problem, but I suspect not.

There are also the issues of easing into headcovering when one is nervous about beginning, choosing the type of headcovering that is right for you, the challenges of tying and securing, and responding to curiosity and questions from others.

So, I am on my way to addressing these issues.  I hope the book will be finished and available in the Veil Shop, or, perhaps, directly from the blog, by the end of the Summer.  We shall see if that is overly optimistic!

In the meantime, I would love to hear from you if you have questions, or content, that you would like to see addressed.

On the subject of being nervous about beginning to cover in church, we have created a lace veil with a traditional Christian feel to it, that is inspired by the infinity scarf.  Our intent is to provide veils that can be worn as a scarf when entering church...


...and then discretely slipped up over the head when the wearer wishes to be veiled.  



We chose a lace pattern reminiscent of traditional mantilla style chapel veils to maintain a "church feel" for the veil.  We are calling it the Eternity Veil.  We hope that you like it.

I hope that your summer is going beautifully!
God Bless and Pax Christi!
~Michelle

5 comments:

  1. Those "infinity" style veils are very popular at our church so that most women can wear it as a scarf when they leave the parish hall. All the little girls wear them and look so cute.

    I LOVE mantillas but still can't bring myself to buy one because it looks like it would fall off my head when I do a prostration or I might accidentally light it on fire when I light candles in front of the icons, lol.

    Looking forward to the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you thought about tying a mantilla like this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/90750380/lace-mantilla-chapel-veil-headcovering or this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/91537875/butterfly-print-sheer-organza-mantilla ?

      I've made a few lace mantillas that are shorter, so that they can be worn like a smaller kerchief. I started them after reading your comment on the Veil Shop Facebook page. They're cut, but not yet sewn. I'll get them finished.

      I'll also give some thought to developing something else without the "fire risk" too. You Orthodox definitely get in closer to the candles than we "Westerners" do! I'll give this some thought...

      Delete
  2. Yes, I do like that style. I guess you would just have to pin them, huh? I'll be anxious to see the shorter styles. I would like to incorporate the mantillas into daily covering but have it look less formal so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful! I am not found of the style of head-covering I wear, but am completely convicted I should wear one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wear a head covering too, Michelle, and I love this idea of the Eternity Veil. I might try to make one myself. :)
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome! We love to hear from you. You are embraced here in Christian charity.Your comment will not show up immediately. Rest assured that is has been received and will be published soon.

Pax Christi!
~Michelle